Case Study

Origin Energy
Sales form redesign


Sales Form Redesign

There is always room for improvement.

During my time at Origin, my team and I were tasked with the evolution of the Sales form. It was evident that there was issues with it and we set out to get it working more efficiently.

The Process

Through an analytics assessment and a heuristics review we identified some key that could be implemented to improve sign up completions.

Looking through the analytics we noticed that the current form wasn’t performing to the business’ expectations.

We took a look through the data to understand further at what point users would drop-off. This data uncovered some interesting truths.

4, 2, 1

A previous project had been run to reduce the sign up process from 4 steps to 2 steps, this not only reduced drop off and increased sign ups as suspected, but through the analysis it show that there was still a dramatic drop off of 43% between steps 1 and 2.

Minor details count

The energy industry is a hard one to understand in the best case, let alone when you’re trying to make a decision that will affect your for a year…
We noticed the language used was full of industry jargon, through talking to users we found out this left them confused and often intimidated.

Fundamentals matter

This large drop off lead us to review the interface with a fine tooth comb.
We didn’t have to look far to notice that the form broke a lot of basic best practice rules let alone user experience rules. This project had become a UI challenge also.

User Interface

We started of by assessing the information that was required to be captured. Looking at these inputs we grouped them into smaller bite sized sections, which limit the cognitive load.

Next we redesigned the fields, to bring to the forefront any hidden information, easing stress as user research suggested that hidden content even if it is helpful caused concern to the user.

We simplified the order summary to allow users to see exactly what they are purchasing.
And finally reduced the full form on to one page. This helped the user feel invested and resulted in fewer drop offs between the steps.

Component Updates

Origin had a very comprehensive component library, however some the components were designed and built on legacy systems which resulted in having a few usability flaws. 

By designing larger components that were on brand and met the functionality and accessibly requirements we enabled a truely seamless experience for all users and a business outcome that all stakeholders were happy with.

User Experience Testing

We started this project with a business requirement, but through analysis and research we were able to identify the core problems with the process. This wouldn’t have been possible without testing. Throughout the process we utilised to pinpoint a variety of personas to test all our hypothesis on.
Over 3 rounds of testing we had iterated it to where it was performing at a high standard in testing conditions…

…Next up A/B testing

The results

We used A/B testing to gage whether the changes we had designed made a significant enough of an improvement.

We saw an incremental uplift of around 3% with a high enough confidence to proceed with implementation.

While the designs that we built didn’t fully implemented a lot of the learnings and structure of the form still remain today.